Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I had a dream last night and it was so incredibly vivid that it still feels real.

I was with Batgirl and Matty and at first we were in some sort of stadium for a concert. Before the show, we kept moving from one set of seats to another, trying to find the best viewing angle. After bouncing back and forth a few times, we ended up getting in trouble by the security people, so we ended up having to run.

So we ran into the heart of the stadium, flying down hallways and bounding down stairs. At some point, we weren't in the stadium anymore.

We were in some sort of hospital.

We made it down to the ground floor and came bursting out of a pair of glass doors.

It was just getting dark outside.

There was about fifty yards of parking lot and then a treeline. All we had to do was make it to those trees and we'd be home free.

We ran.

I heard something behind us.

There were about ten cops, all with guns drawn.

They started shooting.

I yelled for Matty and Batgirl to drop to the ground, and they did.

I wasn't so lucky.

I got shot right in my lower back.

I cried out and slammed to the ground.

I told Matty and Batgirl that I'd thought I'd been shot, and they took a quick peek at my back and confirmed.

The police started shouting something at us.

Matty and Batgirl kept low to the ground and crawled off into the trees, leaving me behind.

The police made their way towards me, cautiously. And slowly. So incredibly slowly. I could feel the blood pumping out of the hole in my back, soaking my shirt.

I closed my eyes and just concentrated on my breathing..... in and out... in and out... there was nothing else in the world except that... in and out....

Finally they made it to me.

They rolled me over on to my back so they could get a look at who I was. Once they saw my face, they realized that they didn't shoot who they thought they did.

At this point, someone else came bursting from those same double doors I had moments earlier. Once again, the police opened fire.

They missed.

All of them.

So they started chasing the person.

In and out.... in and out.... breathing slow and deep... waiting for someone to help me.... I could feel the bullet in my back. I could physically feel it there inside me.

After what seemed like an eternity, a couple of nurses emerged from the hospital with a gurney. They put me on it and wheeled me inside.

I was in a bright white hospital room.

The doctor walked in and said a few things, I don't know what.

All I could feel was the fire in my back.

The doctor made a joke and the nurses laughed, then left the room.

I could feel the doctor's hand on my back, pressing down near where the bullet went in, trying to find where it went.

I opened my eyes and saw who the doctor was.

It was Batgirl.

The nurse at the door, who had brought me in, was Matty.

Batgirl stuck a finger into the hole in my back and pulled out the bullet.

I screamed.

And then I woke up, about ten minutes before my alarm went off.

My back still hurts.

No comments: