Friday, March 6, 2009

I take step after careful step as I walk closer to the edge of the world. The ocean rolls into the shore ahead of me.
I look over one shoulder and then the other.
I am completely alone.
Slowly, I close my eyes and breath in deeply.
The smell of the saltwater reminds me of home.
The breeze is crisp and cold, so I pull my jacket close around me.
The waves crash beneath my feet
People laugh in the distance
But I stand alone and silent in the night.
I take another step along the pier
And another.
The sounds, the smells, they are the same here on the Pacific as they were on the Atlantic.
So much of life out here is the same
But so much of it is so drastically different.
The beach is to the west, not the east.
That is something I have yet to get used to.
I take another step
And another.
I open my eyes again and look over the edge of the pier.
I only have one, maybe two more steps until I am no longer over the beach
Only one or two more steps until I reach the end of the earth.
The end of This Earth
And into a new beginning.

No comments: