Monday, March 15, 2010

You Can't Fix What Isn't Broken




.... And she became beautiful. I really don't know how it happened. Nothing changed about her. She stayed exactly the same. It was something in me. A part of me changed.
Her brown hair resting on her bare shoulder.
The way she cocked her head to the side just a split second before she laughed, it was as if she had to let the joke sink in for just a split second longer before she could decide if it were funny.
They say that if you smile, the whole world smiles with you. Well, that is definitely not true of everyone, but her smile was so... true... she smiled with her entire body... every time she smiled, whoever was with her didn't even have a choice, they had to smile right along with her.
She was smart, too. So damn smart. We would talk about work and she had so many ideas, things that were so different from the way we did things, so different from the way that most of us even thought of things. She just saw things in a way that no one else seemed to. I would bring up a new problem, a new challenge, and just watch her think it out. She would carefully brush her hair back behind her ears and she would just start to concentrate so hard on a spot just a few feet in front of her face. It was like she could see things that we couldn't. Her eyes would furrow as she dismissed idea after idea without even sharing them. Sometimes she would chew on her lip before a sly smile would start to creep across her face and she would let us know what she was thinking.
I saw these things every day for so long without actually Seeing them. Then one day, it hit me. Everything about her hit me all at once. Everything I hated about her became things that I loved, and everything I loved became things that I couldn't live without.
I never told her, though.
I couldn't.
Some things just aren't meant to be.

No comments: