Saturday, June 6, 2009

flashes of lightning




lightning flashes across the cold, dark sky and for a second, just a brief, beautiful second, i can see her face again.

are those tears or just the rain?

her words, so soft, are whispered in my ear.

questions with no answers

i pull her in to me, hugging her close with my entire body.

her hands are so cold, gripping my shoulders

her face is so warm pressed against my neck.

i wisper to her and tell her that everything will be ok

it hurts

i know it hurts

i can see it

i can feel it

i kiss her on the top of her head

she smells like peaches.

i tell her again that it will be all right

and we stand there in silence only broken by the sound of thunder and rain

the lightning continues to flash around us

illuminating everything in a flash of brilliance

if only just for a second at a time.

she kisses my neck and tells me that we should go inside

so i take her by the hand and we make our way back

No comments: